Friday, September 25, 2009

Dumpster Diving



To this day, I don't like drinking out of plastic, and I think it stems from all the "recycling" from my formative years. The whole family would be out at the lake, and even though hundreds of other people had pushed aside or navigated around the various floating objects, my father always fished them out and brought them home--or worse, made me do it. I think all of the cups in the cabinet had once been floating downstream. There was no amount of washing that could ever make me completely at ease with the scary 32 ounce Big Gulp cup with the slightly gnawed rim. I also had to share underwear with my sisters, so I stopped wearing it altogether. But the worst thing was when someone would have lawn furniture in their yard that was just a little too close to the curb. My father would slow the car down and tell us to jump out and grab this chair or that table. I was always scared that the people weren't really getting rid of these perfectly nice items, and that they would stop me with violence once I set foot on their yard. But that never happened. Instead, we collected other people's discarded or unguarded items until the house was brimming with swag. It is amazing what people will throw away, though I am still not completely convinced that the plastic table with the umbrella stand and the matching chairs was being thrown out by that affluent Texas family.

4 comments:

  1. Erin,
    You can't live with that lawn chair on your conscience, you MUST make amends!!!
    Get their address, write that letter!!!
    Offer to replace those stolen goods!!!
    You'll become an addict!!!!
    lol!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin Rae,

    Okay I had a nice little response that took a little effort and time to write, all ready and then it deleted when I was previewing my comment and getting ready to post it ... I created a google account just for this! Feel good about your self ;-)

    Now, before I go into depth with my comment ... you stopped wearing underwear? You mean to tell me there was only a thin line of mini-skirt protecting me from you and your "city"? Yes that's right, I said, "city". I hope it was a clean one at that! We talked for like HOURS that day and like it was that close and I never knew, makes me laugh when I think of it now lol. Also makes me realize that out of all that time I still have a lot to learn about you.

    One thing I did learn that day, however, was to swtich my water drinking situation. I always carry around a water bottle in my current living situation. Until I get out of the slums of the outskirts of LA and have my own dishes, things will always be this way. Before I met you it was plastic and now it's aluminum, or tin, or whatever you call this. It's the same material as the one you brought that day we met. I, in no way, want estrogen in my body! Once you relayed that information to me, it felt like I could taste something from that plastic bottle. Maybe it was psychological, but I didn't want to take anymore chances. I like my manhood just the way it is, thank you very much!

    I had been meaning to get on this a lot sooner, so thank you for reminding me to do so because this is addictive! As you can probably tell by the book I've just written you lol. Next time let's blog about how America should keep its mouth shut and not "boast" too early!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Ben. If I can change the world one person at a time... Thanks for jumping on my bandwagon, but it's going to be a bumpy ride! I'll get on your Blog soon, doll. But no writing about my "city"! :)

    ReplyDelete