Thursday, June 6, 2013

Getting Rich


So there I was at a 420 pool party, minding my own business, when a vision appeared before me in the pool. I was definitely staring. I felt something electric pulse through my body, a deep-seated, biological recognition of something that was mine, or should be. But who was he? Was he single? Does he think I'm pretty? 

I made friends quickly with everyone there, but one girl in particular glommed onto me. She immediately began discussing this gorgeous man and her intentions to have him as well. Apparently there was a line of girls before me, each declaring their dibs, hoping for a chance to catch the attention of this aloof man. "Are we sure he's not gay?" I asked, he was ignoring all these bikini-clad beauties after all. I was assured that he was extremely far from this on the old spectrum and that was good enough for me. 

I knew I had caught his eye several times, and when I happened to mention being single for the last seven months, he very visibly perked up. I tried to give him every opportunity to ask me out, but because I had shown up with a friend who also has a penis (probably, I wouldn't know, but I'm assuming) he respected some man code and left me alone.

So alone I was... but I couldn't stop thinking about him. Rich... Rich. I knew there must be a way to get him a message about my interest. I'm still a lady, I don't want to do any heavy lifting and prefer to be pursued, but he is just a man and probably could use a hint. I requested his facebook friendship, but this was somehow too vague. This never would have been a problem on Myspace... I then enlisted a friend to text him about my curiosity which quickly turned into a high-school-note-passing situation. She took several days to get in touch with him, unbeknownst to me, so I agonized for almost a week. Why wasn't he interested? Who the hell did he think he was? Didn't he know we were meant to be?

My fears were finally put to rest when he immediately responded to get my number. Happy dance! And then he called the next day. And we talked for over an hour. We couldn't get together for a whole other week (sigh), but we made plans to eat at my favorite sushi place and he called me two more times before then. I guess he got the memo--er--novel on how to navigate me. Everything was perfect. 

May the fourth could not come soon enough. I had butterflies the entire day. Okay, he's attracted to me, right? Right?! But will he like me? Oh, god... He has to. I need him to claim me, stick a fork in me, stick a flag in me, dear god, please stick something inside of me. I planned to abandon all my "rules" about dating and waiting. I am in my sexual peak and it's been too long. Way too long. I was hoping he wouldn't do anything stupid enough to turn me off like so many before him.

He didn't. It was amazing and everything and beyond words. I didn't even care if I never heard from him again. I got what I needed. What I NEEDED. When he got up in the middle of the night I braced myself for the inevitable creep, but he surprised me by coming back to bed. And asking me to breakfast. And spending the whole next day with me. Our date turned into a weekend turned into the most incredible relationship I have ever had. 

How did I get Rich? Just by being my authentic self and giving myself permission to do all the things I wanted to do without judgement. Turns out Oprah was right; follow your joy. Maybe money can't buy you happiness, but getting Rich is a great place to start... and hopefully, finish. 



No comments:

Post a Comment